- Why Buddhism? I wanted to understand and practice Buddhism in a way that made sense to me, and share what I learned with others! Many people living in western countries have found my style of explanation helped them understand as well.
- New to Buddhism? I recommend you read my “Basics in Buddhism” series of articles. You might also find my Best Books for Beginners article helpful.
- “Buddhism is Confusing, Can You Really Help Me Understand It?” While everyone has a different way they learn, I have helped many people over the years who have enjoyed my writings, videos, and graphics! I hope you find them helpful as well 🙏
@alanpeto I’ve got to tell you…I’ve learned more from your website than from any book, site, or audiobook. You have a great ability to make difficult concepts very simple and approachable. Thank you, sir! I needed what I read today! pic.twitter.com/LnyzAlQy5R
— Han Scrollo (@HanScrollo) May 9, 2018
- Social Media: Follow me on the social media platform you frequent to learn more about Buddhism! Instagram, YouTube, Facebook , Twitter, TikTok, Pinterest, Insight Timer, and check out my Podcast “Learn Buddhism with Alan Peto” (also available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, etc.).
- “Are You Really a Buddhist?” Yes, I am officially a card carrying Buddhist 😉 However, I am a Buddhist layperson, not a monastic, priest, theologian, etc., and want to speak from the layperson perspective. Because most Buddhists are actually laypersons, I want to live and teach from that level. These are my personal experiences, opinions, research, thoughts, and insight, which I enjoying sharing with with others. If you have a question or need to contact me, send me a message here.
- My Background: I am a trained journalist, graphic designer, researcher, technical writer, and a trainer who has taught tens of thousands of people over that past 30 years, and nearly a million people on my website. I am the author of the book “The Buddhism Secrets of Cats”, and others.
- “What is Your Buddhist Affiliation?” My refuge temple is Hsi Lai, which is part of Fo Guang Shan (FGS) – a worldwide Buddhist order based out of Taiwan with over a million practitioners. It practices Humanistic Buddhism, which is a form of Chinese Buddhism (Pure Land and Ch’an “Zen” Buddhism), meant for the human world we are in right now. My Dharma teachers are Venerable Master Hsing Yun (founder of FGS) and Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh (Plum Village). However, I routinely read and listen to teachers from various traditions, to include Theravada Buddhism.